Portobello Burgers with Xiloca Garnacha
Portobello mushrooms stand in for meat patties in this recipe for veggie burgers with all the fixings. To make this Vegan, substitute Vegan American Cheese for the Yellow American Cheese and use Vegan Plain Greek Yogurt for the Salsa dressing.
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps, gills removed if desired
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Greek Plain Yogurt OR sour cream
- If Vegan, use Vegan Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/8 cup Medium heat Salsa
- 4 - 8 slices Yellow American cheese from the Deli counter (this cheese melts perfectly)
- If Vegan use Vegan American cheese slices
- 4 whole-wheat buns, toasted if desired
- Romaine lettuce Leaves
- 4 large tomato slices, salted
- Thinly sliced red onion & pickles (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Brush mushrooms with Olive Oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, mix Yogurt/sour cream and salsa in a bowl and let set in the fridge until ready to use.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a plate and pat dry with paper towels. Top the gill side of each mushroom with a slice of cheese. Return the mushrooms to the grill and cook until the cheese is just melted, about 1 minute more. Serve on buns with the Salsa sauce, lettuce and tomatoes.
This burger is served with a creamy cucumber salad, the recipe is here
Paired with Xiloca Garnacha (Vino Mas August 2020 wine club selection)
Adapted from Eating Well magazine June 2019