Chicken Milanese with Herb Orzo Soup
INGREDIENTS for Chicken Milanese:
DIRECTIONS for Chicken Milanese:
- 1 cup flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups plain or Italian breadcrumbs - I used Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 lemons, 1 zested and 1 cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in three separate shallow dishes.
Combine the lemon zest, parsley, thyme and garlic on a cutting board and finely chop together to form a gremolata. Add to the breadcrumbs along with the cheese and work through with your fingers.
: Season the cutlets with salt and pepper, then coat in the flour, the eggs and the breadcrumbs. In a large skillet, heat a layer of EVOO over medium-high heat. Fry the tenders in batches for 5 - 6 minutes on each side OR until done. Time will depend on thickness of tenders, if they are thinner, it may not take as long to cook.
Right before serving, squeeze fresh lemon juice on tenders.
INGREDIENTS for Herb Orzo Soup:
DIRECTIONS for Soup:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium-size yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 Red or Yellow Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup (2 ounce) dry white wine
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley stems plus 1 1/2 cups finely chopped parsley leaves, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth or Vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh tarragon - You can substitute really any herb if you do not have tarragon: Basit, Oregano, etc....
- Finely grated pecorino Romano cheese, for garnish
Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium. . Add onion, celery and bell pepper, salt, and black pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 12 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has almost completely reduced, 4 to 5 minutes. Add orzo, parsley stems, garlic, fennel seeds, Italian Seasoning and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until orzo is al dente, 10-12 minutes or so.
Reduce heat to low. Stir in cannellini beans; cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in chives, tarragon, and parsley leaves or whatever herbs you are using. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Garnish with pecorino Romano, and serve alongside Chicken tenders.
Paired with Elderton Unoaked Chardonnay
Adapted from Rachel Ray Mag Sept 2011 - Chicken Milanese
Adaped from Food & Wine May 2021