Golden Beet and Strawberry Salad
Earthy beets and sweet berries are a great match and so is anything with Goat cheese and Sauvignon Blanc. Roasting the berries softens them and concentrates their flavor, so they taste like strawberries intensified by a factor of 10 - but you can skip the roasting if you want and use fresh strawberries on the salad.
- 6 small golden beets, scrubbed and trimmed (about 1 lb.)
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh Spinach OR mixed baby lettuces (about 6 loosely packed cups)
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- Finely chopped nuts of your choice: Almonds, pistachios, walnuts, etc….I used Candied Walnuts and Craisions.
How to Make It:
Cooking Light May 2018
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place beets on a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil; wrap tightly. Bake at 375°F for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly; rub off skins with a paper towel. Cut beets into wedges. - As a NOTE: I steamed them, let the beets cool and then roasted them with the strawberries.
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Place strawberries in an even layer on prepared baking sheet; sprinkle with sugar, and toss gently to coat. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; transfer strawberries to a plate to cool.
- Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a jar or bowl; shake or whisk until emulsified.
- Divide l evenly among 4 plates; top with beets, strawberries, cheese, and almonds. Drizzle evenly with vinaigrette.