Roasted Beets w/ herbs and Feta
How to Make It:
- 1 pound trimmed red beets (about 3-4 Large beets), scrubbed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon honey + more for drizzling
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon orange zest plus 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ to ½ cups feta cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange beets, stem ends up, in a medium Dutch oven. Add 1/2 cup water. Drizzle beets evenly with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and transfer to preheated oven; bake until beets are tender when pierced with a knife, about 1 hour. Uncover; let beets cool at room temperature at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Peel beets; discard skins. Cut beets into 1-inch wedges.
- Whisk together honey, vinegar, orange zest and juice, remaining oil, and remaining salt in a large bowl. Add beet wedges; toss to coat. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl; sprinkle with mint and parsley, drizzle with Honey and Top with cheese.
Roasted, peeled, and sliced beets may be covered and refrigerated up to 1 day.
Paired with Slo Down Sauv Blanc
Adapted from Food and Wine April 2020