Sweet Potato Bisque - Vino Mas
Sweet Potato Bisque
Vegetarian and Vegan
- 2 large sweet potatoes, (makes about 4 cups sweet potato puree)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups white onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme or ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup milk (dairy or unsweetened non-dairy both OK)
- Sour Cream or Vegan Yogurt for topping
- Fresh Sage or thyme for garnish
Bake The Sweet Potatoes + Make The Puree - NOTE: You can do this ahead of time
Make The Soup
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Poke the sweet potatoes with a fork so they don't explode in the oven.
- Place the sweet potatoes a baking sheet, transfer to the oven and bake for an hour (or until soft.)
- When the sweet potatoes are softened, remove from the oven, and cool for 30 minutes.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, slice in half, and scoop the substance out of the skins.
- Puree the sweet potatoes in a blender or a food processor until smooth, add water or a little milk/non-dairy milk if needed to puree to the consistency that you want.
- Season with sage, cumin, black pepper and salt and set aside.
Adapted from a recipe on “The Speckled Palate”
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a medium-sized stock pot over medium heat.
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- When the pan is hot, add the onion and thyme, sautéing until soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth slowly, and scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any overcooked bits. This will add flavor to the soup! Bring to a boil.
- Add the sweet potato puree, and stir until smooth, bringing to a simmer.
- Add the milk, stirring until incorporated, then lower the heat. Simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste if the soup needs it.
- Serve warm, put a dollop of sour cream or Vegan cream/yogurt and garnish with additional fresh thyme and/or sage and enjoy!