Grilled Eggplant Panzanella Salad with Garnacha
- 2 small eggplants, cubbed
- 1 small zucchinni, cubbed
- 1 English cucumber diced
- 1/2 baguette
- 2 large cloves garlic, split
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, coarsely diced
- 1/2 chopped sweet onion (small)
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
Place cubbed eggplant and zucchini in a colander. Sprikle well with salt. Let sit for 20 min. Place veggies in a bowl, mix in a tsp of olive oil with eggplant and zucchinni. Saute veggies until softened and charred. OR broil veggies until nicely browned, turning once to brown both sides. Set aside to cool.
Slice the baguette down the middle lengthwise, rub each slice with the cut side of the garlic and brush with olive oil. Lightly toast the slices on the grill or under the broiler. Dice the bread and mince the garlic.
Combine tomatoes, onion and veggies in bowl. Add minced garlic. Fold in vinegar and rest of olive oil. Fold in bread, mixing well so it becomes moistened with vinegar, oil and juice of tomatoes. Fold in basil and season salad with salt and pepper. Set aside at least one-half-hour before serving. Top with Cheese right before serving.
Paired with Botijo Rojo Garnacha
Adapted from Samsara Wine Co Food & Wine