Mushroom Sliders with Syrah
Mushrooms have a naturally meaty taste that makes them a delicious fat-free substitute for beef patties. To make this recipe Vegan, use vegan cheese and sub either applesauce OR Vegan Greek plain yogurt for the egg whites.
For the Patties:
For the Sliders:
- 24 oz mushrooms, cut up, I used baby bellas and white button mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or Canola Oil
- 2 Tbsp sliced shallots
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- ¾ cup white rice – I used a combination of white and brown rice
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- Swiss cheese, I used white sharp cheddar
- 6 -8 slider buns (depends on how thick you make the patties)
- 1 avocado sliced
- Tomato slices
- ¼ crumbled blue cheese, I used chunky blue cheese dressing
Paired with Right Hand Man Syrah
Adapted from Cuisine lite, Fresh & Fabulous August 2010
- Sauté mushrooms in batches if needed, in oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat until soft. Add shallots and garlic; sauté until aromatic, about 4 min. Remove skillet from heat. Drain mushroom mixture in a colander until cool, then transfer to paper towels and squeeze to remove moisture.
- Pulse mushroom mixture in a food processor until minced. Add rice, bread crumbs, egg whites, soy sauce, Worcestershire, Dijon, parsley, salt and pepper; pulse to combine.
- Shape mixture into 6-8 patties.
- Heat grill and grill sliders on a grill pan with holes in it. Cook until done, about 4-5 min per side depending on thickness. Turn off grill, top patties with cheese, lower grill cover for 2 min until cheese melts.
- Toast buns on the grill OR under a broiler in the oven while cheese is melting.
- Serve with slices of Avocado, tomato and top with Blue cheese dressing.