Grilled Cauliflower Steaks with Pesto & Beans
If you make this recipe the way it is below it is a vegan recipe due to the almond pesto. However, to shorten the pre time, you can use a pre-made jarred pesto from the store, but most of the jarred pestos have cheese in them. To “savory” up the steaks, I usally add fresh flaked Parmigiano-Reggiano on top before plating, as a note, they do make “Vegan” Parmesan which works great too. The reason that there are 2 heads of cauliflower to make this recipe when you only cut a couple of "steaks" from each, but it guarantees the best results.
- ½ cup almonds
- 5 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup packed fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- Zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added butter beans, rinsed
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Eating Well April 2019
- Preheat grill to medium.
- IF you are planning to make your own pesto - If you want add some Parmigiano-Reggiano to the mix.
Pulse almonds, 4 tablespoons parsley, basil, chives, lemon zest and juice, 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until chopped.
- Place cauliflower heads on a cutting board, stem-side down. Using a large chef's knife, cut two 1/2-inch-thick slices from the center of each head to make 4 "steaks." (Reserve the remaining cauliflower for another use.) Brush the steaks with 2 tablespoons oil. Combine paprika, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture on both sides of the steaks.
- Grill the steaks, turning once, until tender and nicely charred, 12 to 14 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until the shallots start to soften, about 1 minute. Add beans, water, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
- Serve the cauliflower steaks over the beans, topped with the pesto and more herbs, if desired.
Pair with any type of Bubbly or a California Sauvignon Blanc