Italian Beef Ragu with Ellena Nebbiolo
- 1 carrot
- 1 white onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 8oz ground beef
- 8oz ground pork or pork sausage
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups tomato puree or passata
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf (I used italian oregano)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper and garlic to flavor as you like
- STEP 1: Finely chop the carrot, onion and celery and sweat the vegetables gently in a large frying pan with the olive oil. Once soft, add ground beef and pork and cook until brown. Drain excess fat.
- STEP 2: Add red wine and cook until reduced by half. One reduced, add tomato puree and tomato past and half of the beef stock. Stir sauce and add bay leaf, salt, pepper and garlic to personal taste. (original recipe does not use garlic)
- STEP 3: Let sauce simmer for 2 and a half hours, stirring occasionally and using the rest of the stock as the sauce reduces.
- STEP4: Serve with pasta of choice and top with fresh shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese.
I made this recipe a couple days in advance and used the crock pot instead of simmering on the stove. Worked wonderfully!!
Paired with Ellena Guiseppe Nebbiolo
Recipe adapted from Inside the Rustic Kitchen 2021