Caprese burger paired with Barbera dalba
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 thick slices tomato
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef - I used 93% lean
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil + 8 whole leaves for finished burgers
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dred Oregano leaves
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 hamburger buns, split OR 8 Slider
Whisk balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over tomato slices, let sit 15-30 min to marinate.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate.
Mix ground beef, tomato paste, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Form beef mixture into 4 equal patties or 8 slider size patties.
Cook on the preheated grill until the burgers are cooked to your desired degree of doneness, about 5 minutes per side for well done. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
Top each burger with mozzarella cheese; allow to melt. Serve on hamburger buns with marinated tomato slices and whole basil leaves.
Paired with Ellena Giuseppe Barbera d'Alba
Adapted from 5-Star Italian 2023