Eggplant Alla Parmigiana w/ Inama Carmenere
- 2 medium - large Eggplants
- Kosher Salt
- Olive Oil
- Your choice of Spaghetti Sauce (I used Bertolli Organic Pasta Sauce)
- Fresh Mozzarella thinly sliced (I used Mozzarella balls)
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Fresh Basil
- Optional: Spaghetti or angel hair noodles
Serve with baked Italian bread
- Pre-heat oven to 375. Either slice eggplant into rounds to layer in the pan OR chuck eggplant into pieces. I cut the Eggplants into thicker pieces. Set sliced or chucked Eggplant into a colander and sprinkle with kosher salt. Set a side and let sit for 30-60 min. Shake colander to remove salt and pat eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Heat Oil in Skillet (I used a cast iron pan so that it could go into the oven), saute / fry eggplant in batches over mid-high heat until soft and browned. As each batch is done, remove from skillet with tongs and drain on a wire rack. (I did not use a rack, I just moved the done ones to a plate lined with papertowels until all of the eggplant was cooked through) When done, season eggplant with salt and pepper.
- Spread red sauce on bottom of pan that you will be putting into the oven. Layer eggplant, mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano on top of sauce. Repeat layers.
- Top Assembled eggplant with cheese and fresh chopped basil and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning. Bake until cheese is bubbling around the edges and sauce has slightly caramelized on top, 30 min. Serve with Baked Italian Bread.
: If you want, you can serve this over spaghetti or angel hair noddles.
Paired with Inama Carmenere 2016
Adapted from Saveur Italian Classics 2010