Wild Salmon Chowder w/Fire Roasted Tomatoes - Vino Mas
Wild Salmon Chowder w/Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 med onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 ribs celery, small diced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 med Yukon gold or small russet potato, peeled, and cut into small dice
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 (14oz can) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup clam juice
- ½ cup cream
- ½ pound salmon
- ½ cup minced fresh Italian parsley
PAIRING: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir or a Beaujolais
- Use a large stockpot, add the EVOO, and heat over medium heat-high heat.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, celery and salt for 5 min, then add the potato.
- Sauté for another 7 min.
- Add the thyme, cayenne and white wine stirring to loosen any bits clinging to the pot.
- Add the tomatoes, water and clam juice, bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 min or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the cream, salmon and parsley; stir gently, simmer for an additional 5 min.
- Then turn off the heat. Let the soup sit for 10-15 min. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.